Location: Saverne, in the Bas-Rhin departement of France (Alsace Region).
Built: 12th century.
Condition: Ruins apparently restored.
Ownership / Access: --
Notes: Chateau d'Oberhof is a former Episcopal palace located in the town of Saverne in Bas-Rhin. The Oberhof is the subject of a registration as a historic monument since April 21, 1934. The history of Oberhof is strongly related to the lower castle, the "Slos" current Rohan castle. Both castles were built inside the walls of the upper town. They have both served as residence to the bishops of Strasbourg. In 1417, Bishop William of Diest, driven from Strasbourg, Saverne is the administrative seat of his bishopric and sets his principal residence there. Bishop William III of Hohenstein undertaking joint work between the two castles. The set is transformed into a Renaissance castle. During the Thirty Years War, the castle was heavily damaged. François-Prince Bishop Egon Furstenberg rebuild the "Slos" as a palace he had enlarged between 1667 and 1670. As for Oberhof, it's partially demolished in 1680, during the construction of the Episcopal Regency, now sub-prefecture.
Chateau d'Oberhof Links:
Have You Visited This Château? Please Comment Below: