Château de Blandy-les-Tours
Location: Blandy-les-Tours, in the Seine-et-Marne departement of France (Ile-de-France Region).
Built: 13th century.
Condition: In good condition.
Ownership / Access: PA00086817.
Notes: Château de Blandy-les-Tours is a medieval castle located in the municipality of Blandy-les-Tours in the department of Seine-et-Marne, near the chateau of Vaux-le-Vicomte. The castle is located in the heart of the village of Blandy. Since its acquisition by the General Council of Seine-et-Marne, he was the subject of several campaigns of restoration and archaeological excavations. The castle was built in the thirteenth fourteenth centuries.The castle's history begins in the texts in 1216. It is the Viscount of Melun Adam II ( "Chailly") and is reduced to a manor house in irregular pregnant. In the fourteenth century, the castle is heavily modified with new fortifications and defense structures: a trench is excavated and a new tower-door with arrows drawbridge, is drilled in the wall. Kings Charles V (from 1364-1380) and Charles VI (from 1380-1422) fund to the successive owners of the castle, the counts Tancarville Jean II and his little son William IV, the amenities of the town. A high tower, defended by two drawbridges, was built. The enclosure is modified by the addition of new towers and new curtains. All these changes take place during the Hundred Years War. However, the castle of Blandy-les-Tours was enlarged in the sixteenth century by François II of Orleans-Longueville. The castle it becomes a pleasure residence. Marie of Cleves married there in 1572 in the presence of the future Henri IV. But the castle changes ownership and often deteriorates gradually becoming "farm tours". In 1707, Marshal Villars, owner of Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte, bought the land and castle of Blandy. Common Vaux-le-Vicomte having suffered a fire marshal decided to use Castle Blandy for Reconstruction common. Not only is topping all the medieval towers and reuses the frames in Vaux, but he pulled down the curtains to bridge the gaps. The castle was transformed into farm which accelerates his ruin. main building of the roof collapse, the parapets are destroyed, the great tower-door ripped to enlarge access. In 1764, the castle was sold to Choiseul, minister of Louis XV. Comes the French Revolution. The castle is not worried because he did not show any sign of feudalism. In 1883 the town of Blandy redeems through a generous donation by the mayor Pierre-Charles Tuot. The ruined walls and empty of any building is so historic monument in 1889. From 1970, voluntary associations undertake the initial work of safeguarding the castle. Acquired by the General Council of Seine-et-Marne in 1992, the castle has been since then a full restoration project designed and implemented by Jacques Moulin, head architect for historic monuments, that actually helped make life monument in finding him an assignment and opening it to the public. In September 2007, during Heritage Days, the castle was reopened to the public after two years of work.
Château de Blandy-les-Tours Links:
Have You Visited This Château? Please Comment Below: