Search This Site:
Site Navigation:

French Châteaux homepage

Regions of France

Châteaux of Alsace (169)

Châteaux of Aquitaine (544)

Châteaux of Auvergne (466)

Châteaux of Basse-Normandie (302)

Châteaux of Bourgogne (523)

Châteaux of Bretagne (1142)

Châteaux of Centre (627)

Châteaux of Champagne-Ardenne (172)

Châteaux of Corse (14)

Châteaux of Franche-Comté (189)

Châteaux of Haute-Normandie (220)

Châteaux of Île-de-France (516)

Châteaux of Languedoc-Roussillon (420)

Châteaux of Limousin (206)

Châteaux of Lorraine (315)

Châteaux of Midi-Pyrénées (618)

Châteaux of Nord-Pas-de-Calais (154)

Châteaux of Pays de la Loire (789)

Châteaux of Picardie (280)

Châteaux of Poitou-Charentes (431)

Châteaux of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (289)

Châteaux of Rhône-Alpes (1115)

Chateau Links
Castles/Châteaux In Other Countries

Join Us On Facebook:

Follow Us On Pinterest:

Château de Septmonts

Château de Septmonts
Château de Septmonts Photo - Tango7174 - Wikipedia - lic. under GFDL



Castle Facts:

Location: Septmonts, in the Aisne departement of France (Picardie Region).
Built: 13th-16th century.
Condition: In good condition.
Ownership / Access: Owned by the municipality.
ISMH Reference Number: PA00115922.
Notes: Château de Septmonts located in the municipality of Septmonts in the Aisne department in Nord-Pas-de-Calais and Picardy, was the country home of the bishops of Soissons.Its construction runs from the thirteenth century to the sixteenth century. Septmonts Soissons was the residence of bishops from the twelfth century. The part dating from the thirteenth century was built on the orders of Jacques de Bazoches and the room called Saint-Louis, which housed the chapel, dates from that time. The castle was rebuilt in the fourteenth century by Simon de Bucy, bishop of 1362 to 1404. The tower and the square tower date from the same era. The pavilion (or palace) Renaissance - called "house of bishops" - was built by the Bishop of Symphorien Bullioud who died in 1533. The bishops ceased to reside in the late seventeenth century. It was in ruins when the painter Jacques Edmond Leman bought it in 1864. He restored it and then, from 1877, Leininger Antoinette, Baroness Ezpeleta, completed the work. Bombed in 1918, the Renaissance house was left without coverage, abandoned until the creation in 1971 of the "Association of Friends of Septmonts" which took over its preservation and enhancement of the site. The castle was acquired by the town in 1978, and the square tower in 1999. It has been partially listed building (St. Louis chapel and dungeon) by order of 18 March 1920. The rest of the site was registered October 23, 1986 and filed January 24, 2006 unless the Renaissance home.

How To Get To Château de Septmonts (Map):

Château de Septmonts Links:

Château de Septmonts On Wikipedia
DRAC
Site de photos
Autre site de photos présentant en particulier les travaux de restauration du logis des évêques.
Site proposant, entre autres, des vues des culs-de-lampe du donjon.

Have You Visited This Château? Please Comment Below:

Click here for Privacy Policy and contact information.