Château des Marches
Location: Les Marches, in the Savoie departement of France (Rhone-Alpes Region).
Built: 16th century.
Condition: In good condition.
Ownership / Access: --
Notes: Château des Marches is an old fortress of the fourteenth century, overhauled the Renaissance, located in the Combe de Savoie on the border of Savoy and Dauphiné in the town of Marches in the Savoie region Auvergne- Rhône-Alpes. The Marches castle was remodeled many times; probably in the Renaissance and the eve of the Revolution. Built at the end of the promontory, facing the assailant, originally in the fourteenth century, it was in the form of a quadrangular of 30 meters wide and 40 meters long. Two parallel body home, one north facing Chambéry and the other to the southwest towards the Isere, are connected by a high 1.60 meters thick wall around an inner courtyard. The north-west façade is flanked by two round corner towers, today brought up to the roof, which protected the entrance of the fifteenth century. They lit by mullioned windows. Overlooking the terraces of the castle, the opposite facade, pierced with many windows, is flanked by two pepper shakers corbel where you could watch the valley. The walls and mullioned windows, except that of the entrance facade had to be removed in the sixteenth century under Bellegarde, transforming the ancient fortress pleasure palace. The castle now consists of three U-shaped building Facing Mont Granier, there remains the wall, pierced by narrow openings, a Louis XVI frame with glass door communicates with the gardens. The northeast façade, open because of the removal of the wall, open to the plateau Bauges, sports an Italianate marble columns peristyle Louis XVI used entrance to the ballroom. The ballroom, leaning on the southwest wall, dating from 1780 to 1790, erected by Eugene de Bellegarde, measuring 18 meters long by 14 meters wide on two floors with a total height of 10 m. A Louis XVI wrought iron gallery is erected mid-level and waist room. This room opens and illuminates the garden, by the French window Louis XVI and two windows on the side facing the inner courtyard with four windows and a door. Interior decoration, carried out by the Galliari brothers is made of trompe l'oeil painting. This set of paintings covering the walls of two floors and the ceiling of the great hall of the castle: the ceiling is painted in imitation of boxes, and wall pilasters, columns, cladding panels, doors, balustrades and galleries prospects and rotundas. The gallery walls are adorned with imitation of ancient statues of Hercules, Mars, Diana and Bellona. Y is represented by the Marquis medallion and three daughters. All these decorative paintings Galliari, late eighteenth century, the walls and ceiling of the great hall of the castle Marches were classified as subject on 1 April 1952. Flankings a wall with towers encircled the castle and the town of Marche. One reached the fortified town through a door defended by three cylindrical towers crowned with battlements. Founded in 1301 by Amedee V, the current village has preserved a door of its enclosure and to Montmélian you can still see the foundations of walls and round towers.
Château des Marches Links:
Have You Visited This Château? Please Comment Below: