Château de la Tour de Grilly
Location: Grilly, in the Ain departement of France
Condition: In good condition.
Ownership / Access: Privately owned.
ISMH Reference Number: PA00116408
Notes: Château de la Tour de Grilly is a former stronghold of the fifteenth century, restored in the eighteenth century and the twenty-first century, which stands in the Pays de Gex in the municipality of Grilly in the Ain departement of France, (Rhone-Alpes Region).
Built in 1481 on the site of an old Roman tower, it was the residence of the lords of the Tower of Grilly until 1789. Its restoration was completed in 2008 by its new owner, Sergio Piazzi.
The castle is the subject of a partial registration under the Historic Monuments by order of 18 February 1987. Only the facades and roofs as well as two fireplaces on the first floor are included.
When the house of Grailly, a noble family which had flourished in the county of Foix, was separated from its original stronghold Grilly (previously Grailly) in 1455, part of the manor was sold to a younger branch established in Savoy. Claude Grailly, Lord of Ville-la-Grand, began to build in 1481 a house on the site of an old Roman tower located at the junction of roads linking Grilly Gex, Divonne, and Coppet. The castle remained for a century in this branch of the Grailly family, before passing in 1592 to the Gingins, seigneurs of Divonne.
It then passed to the La Forest family in 1664 when Gilbert de la Forest inherited it from his mother Bonne of Gingins, "dame de La Tour de Grilly", who was married to Claude Antoine de la Forest, Lord of Rumilly. The La Forest then became Lords of St. Lawrence Rumilly and the Tour de Grilly.
When in 1733 Victor Amadeus the Forest sold his castle of Rumilly-sous-Cornillon, he retired to the Tour de Grilly. The castle then passed to Grenaud, seigneurs de Saint-Christophe, following the marriage of Anne Françoise Gilberte de La Forest and Joseph Grenaud. His son William then carried the title of seigneur de la Tour.
In 1788, the Grenauds buy Peter Gabriel Morand, lord of Montfort and Grilly Grilly Castle, and the following year the Lordship and stronghold of Grilly. William Grenaud can then bear the title of baron of Grilly.The Grenaud resident since at Castle Grilly, and the ancient castle of the Tower lost its lordly character. In the first half of the nineteenth century, the property is fragmented between different owners. It was not until 1993 to see the building again reunited by its current owner, Ambassador Sergio Piazzi, who undertook a major reconstruction and restoration was completed in 2008 and have restored the building to its former glory. The Grenauds wer resident since at Castle Grilly, and the ancient castle of the Tower lost its lordly character. In the first half of the nineteenth century, the property was fragmented between different owners. It was not until 1993 to see the building again reunited by its current owner, Ambassador Sergio Piazzi, which undertook a major reconstruction and restoration, which was completed in 2008 and restored the building to its former glory.
Château de la Tour de Grilly Links:
Have You Visited This Château? Please Comment Below: